Saturday 26 December 2009

Merry Eating! Merry Xmas!

Merry Xmas to you all :)
Don't you just love Xmas time?  To Mr FBC and I, Xmas is basically a three day binge eating marathon (we're not particularly religious so it's about two things for us - Family and FOOD!). First there's Xmas Eve dinner with my family followed by an Xmas Day breakfast. Xmas day is spent with Mr FBC's family and then Boxing day comprises a day of nibbling/snacking on leftovers.

Here are some highlights from my family's Xmas Eve dinner. It was a bit of a 'fusion' xmas dinner - a bit of ye olde English, some Chinese and a touch of Spanish (!).  

'Fusion' Xmas Eve Dinner


A view of the other end of the table
For dinner, we had the traditional turkey and roast vegetables, steamed broccolini and beans (sprinkled with some butter & garlic breadcrumbs), a mixture of salads (including pumpkin & cous cous, market salad and marinated vegetable), a huge seafood paella (made by Mr FBC), and Chinese style Lobster with ginger, shallots & noodles.

I had already decided back in November that I wanted my family to experience Adriano Zumbo's Macarons for Xmas. I think I was inspired by Adriano Zumbo's Macaron Day (as blogged by numerous people in the foodie blogosphere including: Grab Your Fork, Chocolatesuze & A Table For Two). So, on the morning of Xmas Eve I made the trek to Balmain to get my hands on 40 macarons. They were a bit pricey at $2 a pop - but well.. it's Xmas!



A colourful array of macarons for Dessert
I made sure I got a mixture of all the macaron flavours available at the Adriano Zumbo Patisserie shop. I'm not 100% sure of all the flavours but I think it included: Banana and Cherry, Black Sesame; Sticky Rice and Jasmine;Blood Orange; Fig and something? (p.s I wrote them down.. but I've lost the list - will need to update this blog if I find that piece of paper).

All the flavours were interesting... but I think I liked the Banana and Cherry flavour the most with Sticky Rice coming a close second. Unfortunately, my family weren't as excited by the macarons as Mr FBC and I. Perhaps because they hadn't really heard of Adriano Zumbo (of Masterchef Croquembouche fame!). I think my little macarons were gazumped by my sister's pavlovas. Ah well. 

The Dessert Spread (including mini pavlovas, fruit platters and cute macarons on a tier)
So that was Xmas for another year. Hoping you are all having a wonderful and well earned Xmas break :)

Adriano Zumbo Patisserie
296 Darling St
Balmain NSW 2041
(02) 9810 7318

No comments:

Post a Comment