Sunday 2 August 2009

Empanadas from La Paula

I loooooove pastry and I looooove savoury food. So, naturally I loooooooove Empanadas.
One Saturday afternoon, Mr FBC and I find ourselves in Randwick/Kingsford looking for a place to eat when I recall reading about a little empanada place in Kingsford on Not Quite Nigella's foodblog.
Low and behold, after a bit of a trek from Anzac Parade and down Gardners Road, we get sign that we are near - the big "EMPANANDAS" sign that is.
Yay.. we've found La Paulas - bakers of Chilean Empanadas and Sweets
You know you've stepped into somewhere out of the ordinary and different when you a greeted with a big "Hola" :). La Paulas is filled with locals and decked out with lots of Chilean posters and trinkets.
We tried a few things from the menu...
First there was the Empanada de espinaca $3.70
The emapanda is baked (not fried) and the pastry is tasty and not too flaky - hate those crumbs. The filling is nice and oozy with the spinach/cheese mixture.
Next we tried Humitas ($4.90). This typical Chilean dish is made of fresh shredded sweetcorn with spices and is wrappred in corn leaves. There is a slight resemblence to scrambled eggs... but it tastes more like creamed corn. Again... I loooove corn so I loooove humitas.
And, finally, a meal is not complete without a little dessert. So Mr FBC and I have a little chilean shortbread (about $1.50) from the many sweets on display.
You can find La Paula at:
118 Gardeners Road Kingsford
Ph: 9663 1041

2 comments:

  1. I recently had a pretty good empanada at Sugarloaf Patisserie in Kogarah (http://bit.ly/4I27SQ) and have been meaning to go to La Paula but not quite gotten around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sydney Tarts,

    Ooh.. thanks for the link to Sugarloaf Patisserie. I'm sometimes near that area (to go to Yum Cha at Ocean King House or St George Leagues Club), so I'll make sure I stop by sometime. Saw the Chocolate Con Churros on your blog and they look divine.
    And, now I know the biscuit I had at La Paula's was called: Alfajores de Maizena
    Thanks
    Mrs FBC

    ReplyDelete